Thursday, October 8, 2020

First Impression of 2020 Chromecast with Google TV

I purchased a 2020 Chromecast with Google TV recently. I have been using it for two days. Here is a short review.

the good

  • It supports 4K60p HDR video output.
  • It can run Android apps. I have installed Kodi and VLC.
  • It comes with a remote which can be configured to control my old TV's volume and power via inferred.
  • Two AAA batteries are included for the remote.
  • The hardware performance is decent for the $50 price tag.

the bad

  • It cannot connect to WPA3-Personal WiFi networks yet.
  • The Youtube and Netflix buttons on the remote cannot be customized to launch other apps.
  • No Stadia support for now.
  • I cannot customize the home screen to show Kodi and VLC on the first row.

the ugly

  • You cannot use it without signing in with a Google account.
  • I could not sign in on the Chromecast without installing the Google Home app on my phone.
  • I was prompted to enable a lot of features that I do not need during activation.
  • You have to agree to Google's arbitration terms during device activation. But you may opt out at https://g.co/devicearbitration/optout within 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment