Friday, June 25, 2021

Remarkable 2 Tablet Review

I acquired a Remarkable 2 tablet in Oct 2020. However I sold it last week. Here is my view on the tablet.

Things I like,

  • It is sturdy while thin and light.
  • It has a long battery life (> 1 week).
  • It supports many wacom EMR pens.
  • The note taker interface is intuitive and responsive.
  • The stylus lag is minimal (~20 ms). 
  • It is very hackable. SSH is on by default with a random strong password.

Things I do not like,

  • It has no front light. So the screen contrast is low. This is my biggest complaint.
  • It relies too much on the cloud. The USB web UI is almost useless.
  • It does not have built-in CJK fonts. 
  • While it supports PDF and ePub, the features are very limited. However, KOReader is available on it.
  • I had the book folio. But the tablet won't sleep when I close the cover. 
  • The marker's tip is a bit thick, which is okay for writing in English, but not in Chinese.
  • It does not rotate the display automatically.
 

1 comment:

  1. Reasonable criticisms, but note that there is no reason for the display to sleep when the cover is closed. The display does not consume any power when it is static.

    ReplyDelete