Saturday, July 23, 2016

Configuring Raspberry Pi 3 via Serial Console

I got several RPi 3 recently. I tried to set them up via the UART console as I did with RPi 2. But I could not see anything on my computer. After googling around, I found that the serial console is disabled by default. So I added enable_uart=1 to /boot/config.txt. And then I could see login prompt on my computer.
As RPi 3 has a builtin WiFi module, I can connect it to my wireless router and access it via SSH. If the network is secured with WPA2-PSK, just add the following to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.
network={
    ssid="your_ssid"
    psk="your_password"
}
If your wireless network is open, add the following.
network={
    ssid="your_ssid"
    key_mgmt=NONE
}
and run sudo ifdown wlan0 and then sudo ifup wlan0. You can test the connection with ifconfig, pingand iwconfig.

No comments:

Post a Comment